vrijdag 27 juni 2014

Unboxing: Scale75 Kickstarter Sarah Kilmister

I just received my Sarah Kilmister package from backing the Scale75 kickstarter 'Steam Wars 2'. I don't usually do unboxing reviews but hell, why not for once?

First of all, before I got the package, there was a serious lack of communication from Scale75 that worried me and a couple of other backers. The production seemed to be right on schedule, but after a while people started to inquire. It seemed that the production of the Painting CD was delayed. It took more time than anticipated. No problem, I would think. But what bothered me was that there was no communication about this to the backers. At least, not until someone started to ask.
But none the less, the people of Scale75 were friendly and forthwith, and soon enough all parcels were shipped.

When I got it, at first glace it looked very professional. The big box with the model was nicely sealed in. A CD in a carton was added, as well as a sealing bag with the two extra 32mm models from the stretch goals. I would have liked to see some foam in there but the metal parts were in good shape.

The big box contained two separate boxes. Both very sturdy. In the first set I immediately found the brass etched cogs from one of the stretch goals. Great detail, that I didn't even notice on the site's pictures! Awesome.

After peeling the layer of foam, there were all the parts of the girl Sarah Kilmister. Including the alternative dreadlock-head. The casts look great. Not flawless, but at first glance I don't think I have a lot of heavy duty work to do. Very nicely done. I have heard less favourable stories about Scale75 castings...!

The second box was divided in two layers. the first, between two sheets of foam, were the bike parts. It was surprising to see that two parts are resin, and the rest is metal. But here as well: good casts. The front wheel does seem to need a lot of flash that needs removing.
Underneat that layer I found a big square base, and the parts for the gas pump. It contained a small sealing bag with tiny plastic parts for that pump.
Unfortunately there were no assembly instructions, so that might prove a challenge later...

At first sight, a pretty good quality product. When I start working on it, I will see how much work it actually needs, but still, I figure not overly much nor frustrating work. I think I am gonna put my skills to the challenge painting her, but I think it will be so much fun to do. I hope to have her finished by september and show her at the Scale Model Challenge....

I hope you liked this unboxing preview. Leave me a comment if you like!